Regardless of age, anxiety takes us away from the present moment and into a place of the scary unknown. However, toys have the magical ability to bring children back into the present and as a consequence, calm them down.
Here are our top five picks of toys we love:
- Pop it fidget toys: You’ve probably seen these toys in various animal shapes that are filled with squashable bubbles that children can pop before they rise again. Both from a sensory perspective and the repeatability, this toy helps thousands of children re-centre themselves.
- Putty/Play-dough: Not only is it the most affordable of the bunch, but from this is a great way for children to focus on using their hands to shape things.
- Fidget spinner: Okay, most of us find these pesky things annoying but for our kids they can be a life saver as they require a lot of concentration both from a proprioception perspective and mentally.
- A weighted lap pad or toy: similar to a weighted blanket, these heavy toys allow kids to have the comfort of a stuffed toy whilst also getting the relaxing weight calming down.
- Rocking egg chair: super easy to store, this is a great way for kids that rock back and forth in moments of anxiety to find a safe space to do it.